Saturday, 25 March 2017

Wardrobe inspiration and sewing plans

If you happened to read my previous post, you know I was trying to weed down my closet a bit and make sense of my style. Now that I've figured out a bit better what I want for my style I feel inspired to realize those dreams. There are definitely a few things my closet needs and a few things that my vanity needs.

It's the spring now which basically means a week of sunshine followed by a week of snow and rain which makes this a very challenging season to dress. That's why I haven't really oriented from winter clothing to summer clothing yet so my to-do list is a mix of both.

I don't know what it is about coats, but I just love them. I currently have 3 vintage/repro winter coats for the winter and I want to make more! One thing I've been dreaming about is a 30's style long winter coat in black and maybe with a faux fur collar. I haven't found a suitable fabric that would be both thick and good enough quality to spend the time on it, so that's why this project is still on hold. There are a couple of patterns on Etsy I could consider using.

Patterns from LadyMarlowePatterns on Etsy

I'm also in need of a shorter jacket since my old ones are starting to look a little worn out. Recently I've been really into tweed. I just love the pattern the herringbone weave creates. I'm looking to make a 40's style tweed jacket as soon as I have the time. I've already bought a pattern and looked up fabrics for it too.

Pattern from RoxyLynn2 on Etsy, fabric from Truro Fabrics, inspiration photo from Fashionable Forties

During my wardrobe challenge I realized I needed a brown and a white sweater. I've been leaning towards warm colors such as browns and oranges in my clothes so I need sweaters to match. I've already purchased the yarn for the brown one which is Extra Merino from Schachenmayr. I haven't decided on the style yet, but I do know I would like something with a cable pattern.

Sweater pattern from cemetarian on Etsy

And of course I'm going to need some snazzy pants to go with my tweed jacket and sweaters. I have a couple of wide legged pants already so I'd like something narrower.

80's pants from rockstreetvintage on Etsy, Pachucha girl photo from Style Bubble 

Since the summer is coming I'm going to need some (more) dresses (I mean can you really have too many?). I'm a sucker for rayon and even though it's really annoying to work with I just love how the fabric moves and drapes, and how cool it is in the summer. I'm dreaming of making something with the beautiful reproduction fabrics from Maltings Fabrics.

Fabrics from Maltings Fabrics, dresses from Shrimpton Couture - Seriously, go take a look. Oh the sweet eye candy!
To all the seamstresses out there: What do you have on your to-do list?

2 comments:

  1. I love those pants in the second last photo! I have too many projects, and a large stack of fabric to choose from :( I'm not sure what to make next, but I'm thinking most likely some summer dresses. Good luck with your coat plans- those are both really lovely 30's coat patterns!
    The Artyologist

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me.

    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...