Monday, 4 July 2016

Inspiration: 1930s catalogue dress

Suvi-Vintage fair is now over and it's time to sit back and take a breath until it's time to go again.

I thought I'd take this lazy day and show you my day 1 outfit from the weekend.

30s calatogue dress made by CheriseDesign


I had already made this dress earlier for my shop in a different fabric, but I wanted one for myself as well. And since blue doesn't really suit me, I chose to use this vintage rayon fabric I had bought from a friend.

30s calatogue dress made by CheriseDesign
This version of the dress is available for purchase in my Etsy Shop. Model: Pussy C'outure.

I had saved this catalog picture a long time ago and browsing through my files came across it again. I thought the style was pretty much perfect, but I did make a few changes.

The dress I'm talking about is the red one on the top right.


For starters I made the neckline a little more open. I often find myself not using dresses with very tight necklines. They just make me feel a bit uncomfortable.
Second: I made the skirt from 4 pieces cut on full bias. This gives the fabric a little bit of stretch and makes it fall beautifully. This makes the skirt appear very slinky and hug the curve while it still flares out a little bit at the hemline.
Third: no pockets on this one.

30s calatogue dress made by CheriseDesign


The dresses I made for my shop have fabric covered buttons and buckles, but for my version I used real vintage buttons. 

30s calatogue dress made by CheriseDesign


This dress turned out to be an instant favorite. It's flattering yet comfy. The blousy top allows me to breathe and move my arms freely. Maybe I could even use this dress for dancing :)

30s calatogue dress made by CheriseDesign


I paired the dress with white espadrilles that I hunted high and low for. I checked almost every shoe shop in the downtown area until  I finally found a pair at an outlet shop. I guess espadrilles not that fashionable this spring/summer :P

30s calatogue dress made by CheriseDesign

6 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty dress! Love it both as a solid and with the floral fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, perfect fit I rally like how it is fitted but comfortable and the lovely sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress! Love the shoe choice also.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...