Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Inspiration 1940s: Palazzo pants

As I mentioned in my DIY beach cover-up post, my boyfriend and I are going on a tropical vacation later this summer.
Because Finland isn't exactly  a tropical place, quite the opposite, I don't really have proper clothes for such conditions.
So I decided I should make some.

I had been playing with an idea of some kind of palazzo pants, but I couldn't really decide what I wanted.

I had seen this striped rayon at my local fabric store couple times, but didn't first pay too much attention to it. Until I was going through some of my old pins on Pinterest and came across this picture from the 40's. Now I don't know if the outfit in the picture is actually a skirt or pants, but it did give me a spark.


The next day I ran to the fabric store and bought the rayon. I knew exactly what I had to do.


I made the pattern for these pants myself out of a basic pants pattern I had drafted for my own measurements. I can show you on an other post how you can turn your basic pants or culottes pattern into palazzo pants.


As you can see I didn't exactly save fabric with the leg width. Go big or go home, right? :D I wanted this to almost look like a skirt while still being relatively close-fitting at the top.



I also wanted to make a high waist band, so I decided to add boning to keep it upright and now fold over when I sit.
I just used plastic rigilene as I wanted to keep it light in weight since the fabric is so thin. I sewed the rigilene pices on the inside of the waist band facing. Since I didn't have tips for the boning I secured the ends with tightly woven cotton fabric to prevent them from poking trough.


I also had some extra fabric left over so I cut a really long strip to tie on the waist. For this I just used a thicker thread to make a chain over the side seams. Just like crocheting a chain, but instead of a hook you just use your finger. This is like a belt loop to keep the fabric strip in place.




These pants actually turned into multifunctional pants by accident. The fabric strip I cut is so long I can use it to tie a top on myself making this outfit sort of like an overall or jumpsuit.



And here's an extra picture of me doing the knee-knocks. You're welcome.


Have a great day! :)

9 comments:

  1. Would you mind me sharing this on Sassy Sewing Bees in the future? I link to your post and let you know when. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sassy! Feel free to share my posts on your Facebook page :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I will let you know when, on the post in question. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love these trousers, particularly the waistband. I love the long strips and how they tie around the waist and then hang down at the front. The fabric is gorgeous too and will be perfect for tropical heat. I really need to make myself a pair like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cate! :)
      I can't wait to wear these pants out and about. Right now it's a little difficult as I bicycle to work every day.
      I'm planning on doing a post on how I turned my basic pants pattern in to these palazzo pants later. Hopefully you'll find that helpful :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! I like the trousers , the pattern and the fabric!
    LG
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...