Monday, 5 October 2015

The Prague Dress

It's been a while since my last post again. I've felt like there's so much to write about, too much in fact, that eventually I ended up writing about nothing. I traveled to the USA with my boyfriend, to see his family and home. The trip was a lot of fun and we did so much, so much I wouldn't even know where to start.

So I thought I'd return to where this blog actually got started. Sewing.
So this post is about a dress I made.

I've become to buy fabrics as souvenirs from the countries and cities I visit. When sown in to a garment, that piece of clothing gets a special meaning. 




This beautiful floral fabric I bought from Prague. We had visited a few small fabric shops with not much luck, so I was really happy to finally come across this one. The only thing was that the shop lady and I didn't have a common language so I ended up buying 1 meter more than I wanted. That's OK though as the fabric was really inexpensive and the rest will be enough to make a skirt as well.



The pattern I used for this dress is from the 1940's. I really like the scalloped edges on the neck line and sleeves. The style is very simple, but it works well with the busy fabric. I can't remember the pattern company as I copied this pattern from a friend and didn't take copies of the covers.




My boyfriend photographed me wearing this dress on our trip to Cape May in southern New Jersey. We took a trip to the Sunset Point, which is apparently the place to go if you're looking to catch a beautiful sunset. We didn't stick around for that long. but we did see the SS Atlantus. one of the concrete ships built during and after World War I. The ship sunk during a storm and it's still there, about 50 meters off the shore.

 At Sunset Point there's also a World War II observation tower which was one of many built to guard the coast line from German submarines. Nowadays it holds an exhibition telling about it's use and the people from cape May who fought in the war.


We also drove up to the light house, built in 1859, not far from here and climbed all the way to the top. All 217 steps. It was a tough job as it was a really hot day, but the view from up there was worth it.


I paired the dress with a sun hat I got from Cape May, since I didn't bring one with me. It didn't even cross my mind as you rarely need one in Finland.
I also wore wedges from Clark's, that I had bought from Washington D.C. So comfy!




8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress, and I just love your shoes! A really pretty outfit on you. :) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress, and those shoes are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Clark's shoes. They're so comfy and sometimes they have really nice vintage-y styles too!

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic idea to bring home fabric as a souvenir!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...