Tuesday, 13 October 2015

Finished knit: Freya Shawl

The days are getting colder and colder here, but fortunately (apart from the day these pictures were taken) this autumn has been very sunny, which makes the changes in the amount of light much more bearable. The cold weathers always seem to inspire me to do some knitting. Handling those warm and fuzzy wool yarns just feels much cozier when the temperature starts to drop.



My wardrobe has been changing towards a warmer range of colors, which brings a new challenge of mixing and matching them with the older stuff. I recently purchased some new leather gloves in brown instead of black, which is what I would usually go for. So of course now I need matching accessories. 



I have bee dreaming of a big warm shawl to just wrap around me and now I had the perfect opportunity (excuse) to make one. When I saw this pattern on Ravelry, I knew I had to get one. 



I chose a light and fluffy mohair and wool blend yarn from Onion Knit. They had the perfect shade of brown for me: dark, chocolate-y brown, to go with my gloves. I got 4 skeins or 200g and that was just enough. All I had left was a 30cm strand of yarn. I had to finish a couple rows early, because I saw I was running out of yarn, but I think the pattern on the shawl looks just great nevertheless.



I found the beginning of the pattern rather easy, but as it got wider and wider, it got a little harder to keep up with the pattern. I would notice half way through a row I had made a mistake in the beginning, and when it takes you half an hour just to knit one row, you can imagine how frustrating that can be to have to go back. But all's well, ends well, I survived and now I have a lovely, fluffy and warm shawl to get me through the winter and bring a little bit of variety to my winter wardrobe.

You can get the pattern for free on Ravelry (registration required)


14 comments:

  1. voi että, vasta eksyin blogiisi ja heti jotain noin nättiä! kaunis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! I've had the pattern in my favorites for ages, but have never gotten around to making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evie :) This was a pretty interesting project. It takes so much concentration that at least I didn't have time to get bored with it :D

      Delete
  3. On harvinaisen kaunis tuo huivi! Metsäntyttö

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is absolutely gorgeous! The brown color makes it such a perfect fall shawl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful pattern, and you made it in a lovely yarn! I have wanted a lace shawl for ages, but still haven't gotten around to making one. This is very inspiring though! Maybe soon! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, you don't need to register to get the pattern. But what a lovely shawl! I've never knit a shawl and I don't know if I'd have the time, koska kun aloittaa, sitä jää niin kuin koukkuun neulomiseen, että neuloo yötä myöten (en jaksanutkaan muotoilla lausetta enkuksi :D)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...