Friday, 27 March 2015

1930's inspired walking suit

All you vintage sewing enthusiasts probably know the feeling when you see an absolutely fabulous vintage pattern, but it's helplessly out of your reach. Whether it's because of the price or simply because no one seems to have it for sale.

I had to go through this pain when I saw this gorgeous walking suit pattern on American Duchess -blog. I dug through Ebay, Etsy, Google image search, Facebook...yet this pattern seemed to be no where to be found.

Picture from American Duchess
So I finally decided to make my own version of the pattern. 
I used the measurements for the closest standard size, because I haven't updated my personal measurements recently and drafted the pattern for the jacket using a basic blazer block. The skirt I modified from a vintage dress pattern.



I had first made the jacket a little longer as it appears on the pattern envelope. But as you know, the fashion drawing rarely is very realistic and the figures are often elongated. So I ended up shortening the jacket by a few centimetres as the original length wasn't too flattering on me.


The fabric is combed pure wool that I came across at a small rural flea market a couple years ago. They had almost an entire bolt just sitting there so of course I had to take it home. I believe the fabric is from the 60's based on the tag hanging off it. What a steal!



I had a lot of fun working on the jacket, because I got to use traditional tailoring techniques such as hand basting the hair canvas and making bound button holes.
I found some faceted plastic buttons from a local craft shop that look like vintage glass buttons. Real glass buttons seem to be almost impossible to come by here.


26 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. That is stunning! I love the back of the jacket. This makes me want to face my fear and make a jacket for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noelle!
      And I say Go for it! That's the best way to learn :)

      Delete
  2. You did an amazing job! The whole outfit is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I love this one, although I'm not a fan of the 1930s. And you look absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherise, this suit is an absolute stunner! Positively exquisite! You are so inspiring.

    Cheers!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer
    http://boyerfamilysingersblog.com

    P.S. I think this is my first time commenting on your blog. I found you through Fintage.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy reading it :)

      Delete
  6. This is an absolutely exquisite suit! You did a beautiful job. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning jacket, well done! The fit is perfect on you. I'm glad you were able to recreate your dream pattern, doesn't happen for a lot of realists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina! :)
      I am positively surprised with how well this pattern turned out. Not all my vintage pattern recreations are as successful, haha.

      Delete
  8. Amazing! I Love that suit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in awe of your skills ~ being able to recreated a pattern like that; and not only that, but a tailored jacket pattern! :O The back is so lovely, and the whole suit superbly elegant. It look wonderful on you, so classic and chic. A fabulous job indeed! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bonita Vear! :)

      Delete
  10. I admire your skills.
    I have never dared to wenture into sewing something so complicated. I prefer sticking to making skirts and re-fashioning dresses I find in used-clothes shop. But, a blazer.. no, madam.. Too scary, too many darts and parts.. and precission.
    So: I admire your skils. :)

    ...and you look so 1930s - it's surreal. (that is a compliment)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marija! :)
      Refashioning old clothes is a great skill to have too. I wish I had the vision to alter existing clothes other than just making them smaller or bigger :P

      Delete
  11. To be featured on SSB tomorrow. Thanks for permitting. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...