Wednesday, 5 November 2014

A badass mid-season coat

Hey there! Here's something I finished a little while ago. I "needed" a new mid-season / winter jacket, because I sold my old black winter coat that...had...gotten...a little...tight... So I made a an other one using a 40's home sewing pattern as a base. Well all I really changed were the sleeves by removing the darts from the sleeve cap. I also decided to make patch pockets instead of ones embedded in the seams.



And because I like doing things properly, I chose to use hair canvas on the collar, lapels and front facing to give it a nice shape. 



My old jacket had a leopard teddy fur collar, so I wanted the same thing on my new coat. I also covered some buttons with the faux fur and chose a leopard printed lining fabric.As for the main fabric I chose a deep grey-brown, medium to heavy weight coat fabric. I lined the entire bodice with fusible interfacing to give it more body.


A badass mid-season coat at VintageFollies

A badass mid-season coat at VintageFollies

Me and my boyfriend jokingly call it The pimp coat, because of the leopard collar and buttons. 

A badass mid-season coat at VintageFollies

I also got me a pair of new winter boots. I moved a little further from my studio, so I'm gonna a have a little longer of a walk to go to work. There boots are really comfy and will do just great in the snow and ice.

24 comments:

  1. Ok, you have me drooling here ;o) That is a lovely coat, and a great ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coat looks really wonderful!
    LG Carolin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your coat looks very elegant and your inside is a eye-catcher (when the wind blows).
    liebe Gruesse
    Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS totally bad-ass. Great call on the leopard trim and patch pockets. It's a wonderful coat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning work as always! Love your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great coat, looks great! Love the Leopard details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look quite the movie star! I love it. I have plans to do a coat but so far I have made very little progress. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ladan Ladanu! :) Good luck with your coat project as well.

      Delete
  8. That is too cute. I love the leopard lining :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tailoring is truly first-class. Is this the same pattern you sewed in red last winter? Gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. Yes, this is the same pattern as the red coat, I just altered the shoulder a bit :)

      Delete
  10. Kaunis takki! Käytännöllinenkin on. Kauppojen takit yleensä liian lyhyitä hameen käyttäjälle ja liian kapeita myös helmastaan. On tosiaan juuri sellainen malli josta tykkään. Metsäntyttö

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...