Thursday, 14 August 2014

Last days of summer

Hi all! It's been a long time since I last posted anything. A lot has happened since then too. The last few weeks have been super hot, so I have just enjoyed the weather, mostly by swimming, to the point where the constant heat just makes you sick, haha. Now the weather is starting to cool down and I actually had to wear tights and a light jacket to go out. I love the autumn as well, but soon I know I will be missing the summer. It it so short here in Finland compared to the cold and long winter.

I have also sewn a couple of dresses for my own wardrobe. Here is one of them.

50s reproduction dress in green by Cherise


I used a medium weight poly-rayon colleen fabric that I bought from fabric.com. I think the fabric is very suitable for this style. The pattern is a 1950's STIL pattern I copied from a friend. I had to grade down the pattern and add a lot of ease to the waist. It was very, very curvy. 

50s reproduction dress in green by Cherise

50s reproduction dress in green by Cherise


To finish the dress I had matching fabric covered buttons and belt buckle made at a local craft shop.

50s reproduction dress in green by Cherise

50s reproduction dress in green by Cherise


50s reproduction dress in green by Cherise

Also some of you might be interested to know that this is my hair dyed with body art quality henna. About 5 cm or 2 inches from the root is my natural hair + henna, nothing more. Body art quality henna has a very high lawsonia inermis content, so the stain is much deeper and darker than with henna meant for hair. I bought mine from Hennacat on Ebay.

How was your summer?

24 comments:

  1. Mekko on erittäin kaunis! Toivoisinpa löytäväni vanhoja kaavoja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos! Kannattaa liittyä Facebookissa vaikkapa Vintagevaatteide kirppikselle, siellä on myös joitain vintagekaavoja myynnissä :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, your dress looks so nice, Wonderful color. And the buttonline diagonal makes it wonderful.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ihana mekko, haluan myös tuollaisen sitten joskus, kun minulla taas on vyötärö :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful dress!
    ... i hope summer stays for another few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      The summer is now pretty much over here in Finland, but I do love the autumn too :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, this dress is beautiful! I love all the details and the fabric is indeed perfect for this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anthea! :) I really like the fabric and I'm a little bummed out I didn't buy more in different colours when it was still available.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful dress, I love the colour and a cross bust style is just fantastic. I have dyed my hair with a mix of high grade henna and indigo. I have done it twice now. The colour is much like yours but a bit darker. I am not a hair dyer, I don't like to mess my hair quality, and ordinary hair dye is so drying. But the henna has been such a success I will keep it up The indigo does smell a lot though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      I know, I have about 2 inches from the roots dyed with just Henna and the rest is chemically dyed - and the hair at the end is so dry and rough! I can't wait to have grown out all of it :)

      Delete
  7. Wow - you've gotten an amazing fit, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love it! I'm jealous of your amazing sewing skills, I can never get anything to fit that well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi! :) I did have to fit the dress a few times to get a proper fit, yet it's still kind of tight around the waist.

      Delete
  9. Wow! This dress is stunning! And you did a marvelous job!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Featured on SSB. Thanks for permitting. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...