Thursday, 5 June 2014

Inspiration early 1940's

I'm sure you all know the feeling when you see something pretty and it keeps hunting you day after day, month after month, until you finally have to get it? Sure you do :)
I have been eyeing this picture of a 40's vintage dress on Pinterest forever and since there's no way I could ever buy the actual dress, I thought I would just have to make a version of it for myself.

Early 1940s ensemble by John-Frederics, Inc., New York, 1928 - 1964
Credit: Philadelphia Museum of Art
 The other day I was rummaging through my local fabric store and came across this gorgeously rusty orange rayon jersey. I instantly thought of this dress and bought the fabric.

I drafter the pattern for the dress myself using the basic jersey block. I simplified the style a bit by only making one "scarf" around the neck and by shortening the sleeves. I had a pair of old shoulder pads I had taken from one of my vintage dresses, so I used those to give a little oompf to the shoulder line.

40s inspired rayon jersey dress by cherise
Lisää kuvateksti

40s inspired rayon jersey dress by cherise

40s inspired rayon jersey dress by cherise

40s inspired rayon jersey dress by cherise




26 comments:

  1. Very nice! I totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uskomattoman hieno! Postauksesi inspaavat aina ottamaan ompelukoneen esiin:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out absolutely spectacular. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed. Its a striking colour combination and better than the original to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ladan. :) The orange colour was hard to capture, but it's a really deep, rich rusty orange. I think it looks a little too red in the photos.

      Delete
  5. Everything about this is wonderful! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is marvelous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is stunning. Looking at the inspiration photo, I wasn't too taken by it, but your version looks amazing. What a difference it makes to see a design idea fitted on a real person - it comes alive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous miss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous! I think your version is so much prettier than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! Awesome job with this!! That dress and matching turban from the Philadelphia Museum of Art is on my top 10 list of original vintage outfits. So happy to see that someone has reproduced it. :)
    -Emily

    Emily's Vintage Visions

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so amazingly talented!! The dress is so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magnífico vestido, me gusta muchísimo. KISESS.

    ReplyDelete

  13. Featured on Sassy Sewing Bees https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...