Friday, 18 April 2014

Sew for victory: finished dress

Happy Easter to those who celebrate!

Okay, so who took part in the Sew for victory challenge this year? I did. The challenge is hosted my Rochelle over at Lucky Lucille and it's still going on until the end of April, so you still have some time if you wish to participate.

I had almost forgotten about this challenge and in the beginning I was actually planning to make something else. This week I had some free time at work so I just started making this dress for myself and as I was doing so, remembered the challenge and though it would do just great to participate.

The dress is inspired by an actual 40's dress I had bought a while back, but sold to my friend as it was too small for me. I told her then I might have to make a copy for myself as I was quite disappointed not being able top fit in the dress.

40s rayon crepe dress
Here's my friend Elina wearing the original 40s dress. Isn't it just dreamy?
I drafted the pattern to this dress myself. The fabric is nice a flowy rayon crepe I had purchased a while back, so perhaps this also qualifies for the Stashbusting Sew-along!
The material was real pain in the behind to work with as it seemed to have a mind of its own. But I managed. I combined read and black and out of a whim decided to decorate the black midriff with cord I made from the red fabric. Phew, now that took some time.


40s inspired rayon crepe dress by Cherise


40s inspired rayon crepe dress by Cherise

40s inspired rayon crepe dress by Cherise

I kinda like the result a lot. Now I just need an occasion to wear it. Perhaps a barn dance in summer!

Also check out the Flickr pool for more Sew for victory projects!

11 comments:

  1. Very grand. I love the pleating detail in the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress! Congratulations sweet lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely dress! I love it that you added cording! I love the shirring/smocking of the front skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anthea! I actually drafted the skirt pattern to have pleats on the front, but as I was making it I decided shirring would go better with the top. I don't always have a clear plan when I start making something :D

      Delete
  4. Lovely dress, and the hair flower matches it so well ! :)

    Tuleeko muuten kaikista kaupan mekoista kuvat mallin päällä? Helpompi hahmottaa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos!

      Kyllä tulee, kuvat on jo otettu ja odottelen niiden valmistumista. :)

      Delete
  5. I loved the dress without the things added on the Belly part :)
    Such a Nice and simple look,
    I love it.
    Xxx
    Lorna


    Http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely dress. I can totally understand that you had to copy the original 40ies dress, it is so beautiful.
    I love your contrasted waist-part and the cord decoration, a great idea. And a perfect trick to wear the dress with black shoes ;-)
    greetings from Switzerland, love, ette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ette! :) I just might have to make an other one in all black.

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is amazing!! I absolutely love the sleeve and cording detail. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...