Thursday, 24 April 2014

Fashion Revolution

Today was the international Fashion Revolution day to commemorate the horrific accident when a clothing factory in Bangladesh collapsed claiming the lives of 1133 workers. This factory produced many well known brands such as Benetton, Mango and Primark. Today, to raise awareness to where our clothes really come from, everyone is encouraged to wear their favourite clothes inside out and send pictures to their manufacturers and ask who made it.

Demand your favourite brands to be more transparent about how their clothes are made. Demand for better treatment and salaries for the factory workers, even if this means a raise in prices - just buy less! Today fashion is so ridiculously cheap many people don't even think before buying, which results in millions of tons of textile ending up in wastelands. Our planet is literally drowning in textile waste. Instead of dumping barely worn clothes to wastelands, we should only buy things that we truly love and want to wear for years to come, until it literally falls to pieces. 

This is something I've been trying to live up to in my everyday life. Sure, I sometimes buy clothes from H&M and other chain stores, but only about once or twice a year. I make a big part of my clothes myself and when I no longer wear them, they're good to sell to someone else. And when something falls to pieces I cut it to use as cleaning rags, given the material is suitable. I also buy a lot of clothes from thrift shops, vintage fairs and flea markets.


Today I didn't wear my clothes inside out, but I only wore clothes that I had made myself. For work I wore this red shirtwaist dress I made last winter. I wanted an easy going basic dress to wear in summer and I though this fabric, I had stashed for quite some time, was perfect for it. I finished the dress with large white carved buttons.

50s style shirt waist dress in red cotton by cherise

50s style shirt waist dress in red cotton by cherise

In the evening I was going to a Fashion Revolution event in a local shop selling Finnish design, so I wore these self made swing trousers I had made about 2 years ago and a hand knitted 40's style jumper from about one year ago.


40's style swing trousers and hand knitted jumper by Cherise

40's style swing trousers and hand knitted jumper by Cherise

You can find other people's pictures on Instagram with the tags #insideout  and #fashionrevolution

Did you take part in the Fashion Revolution day and how?

9 comments:

  1. Both outfits are lovely!!!
    I just discovered your blog and followed you!
    Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for following, I hope you enjoy my blog :)

      Delete
  2. En viettänyt päivää, sillä en edes tiennyt siitä, mutta kiva idea. Ostan kyllä vaatteet enimmäkseen kirppikseltä.

    Punainen mekko näyttää samanlaiselta kuin nettikaupan malli, oikeastaan kivemmaltakin, sillä pienirintaisena en itse tarvitse mitään rypytyksiä. Olen siis miettinyt, että olisi kiva investoida käsintehtyyn, kestävään mekkoon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hei,
      Tässä mekossa on hieman leveämpi helma ja rypytykset rinnan kohdalta tosiaan puuttuu. Valmistan erittäin mielelläni myös tätä mallia tilauksesta. :)

      Delete
  3. Love the swing trousers and the knitted top

    SSB. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute dress love the effect of the large buttons

    SSB. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you alright with me featuring on SSB in the future.

    Sassy Sewing Bees. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Sure, that would be great! :)

      Delete

  6. Featured on Sassy Sewing Bees https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...