Monday, 28 April 2014

30's style dress from a Burda pattern

I don't usually buy modern pattern magazines, because in my experience the patterns rarely fit me very well. I do sometimes lend them from the library though, if I see something interesting, like this time. 

This patterns is from Burda style, March 2013 magazine and I found it quite 30's inspired although I don't know if it was intended. I really liked the draping on the front and had just the right fabric for it in my stash as well. All I did was shorten the sleeves, because they looked a little clumsy on me when I fitted the dress. Other than that the fit was pretty much spot on.


Burda style march 2013

The fabric is rayon batiste that I had bought a long time ago. I don't recall having any idea for it then, I just liked the butterfly pattern. I think it goes perfectly for this style.

30s style dress by cherise

30s style dress by cherise

30s style dress by cherise

I can't wait for the warm summer days to actually wear this dress!

17 comments:

  1. Nice dress! It's suits you very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so perfect! I love the pattern on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bautiful! have that issue of burda, and never gave that pattern a second look.. but now, looking at your version, i'm in love with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the dress doesn't look very interesting in the magazine in the fabric they chose, but I saw its potential ;)

      Delete
  4. That's a very nice dress, really beautiful.
    LG Carolin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Looks so good on you.

    I have to check if that magazine can be found at local librabry, though I'm not that great at sewing... but practice can make perfect, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly right! No one's perfect without practice :)

      Delete
  6. When I saw this pattern in the magazine I actually thought it was kind of ugly, but your version is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous dress! It looks so perfect on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit, like mokosha, I would never have thought this pattern to look beautiful, but you version is so gorgeous. I wouldn't have had a single doubt if you would have claimed it had been made after a 30ies pattern. And it works so nice with the fabric you used.
    Now I will have a look at my old Burdas with a different view!
    love, ette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ette :) Sometimes all it takes is just a little tweak to make those modern home-sewing patterns work :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...