Thursday, 2 January 2014

2013 sewing hits and misses

After reading other sewing bloggers write about their 2013 sewing hits and misses, I definitely wanted to make my own list as well. I have sewn a lot, I can't even put a number on it. Also not everything has ended up in the blog, yet.

First up: 2013 sewing hits

 


1. This dress was actually only a sample for my clothing collection, but I loved the fabric so much I adopted it to my own wardrobe. The fit is great and the fabric bold, but not too busy.


2. This top I made out of some scrap fabric, but it turned out to be one of my most worn summer tops. It goes with pretty much anything and any colour.


3. This dress was one of my stashbusting sew-along projects. I love the pattern and the look although unfortunately it hasn't gotten as much wear as it should have. Perhaps next summer!


4. Then there's my 40's DuBarry coat that I've worn all autumn and winter, so far, long. It's classic yet the colour makes it pop.


 5. This jersey dress has gotten a lot of wear. It's easy to just pull on in the morning, it looks nice and feels comfortable. Unfortunately the fabric piles quickly, so I'm going to have to find a better quality substitute for it.

And then, wah wah, the misses...

1. Well, there's the Mad Men sew-along dress, which is kinda nice, but I feel like there's too much of everything. It's just not me.

2. The black cigarette pants were a miss only because of the poor fabric choice. I love the style and fit, but the fabric starts looking bad after one wear. It wrinkles, sags and collects all the cat hair. I'm definitely going to try this style again, but in a different fabric. Also they jam at my huge calves, so I'm going to have to fix that too.

3. And then there's this... The fabric is great, the style is quite nice, but somehow it just doesn't come together. I wore this dress once and I was just feeling silly all day. I finally ended up turning it into a skirt.

 Plans for 2014

 

For the 2014 I intend to sew more things that actually get worn. Try to steer away from those fancy, but impractical dresses and try to come up with things to mix and match more easily. 

My wardrobe is missing at least
- a pair or two of well fitted jeans, blue and black
- silk blouse
- dressy, but comfy tops to match with skirts and trousers
- simple black winter coat
- simple but dressy short jacket
- more everyday dresses that can be easily accessorised

What is the most important thing your wardrobe is missing?

22 comments:

  1. really wonderfull dresses, i ant them in my wardrobe too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the shoes in the third picture down (as well as your dresses) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The shoes are from Miss L Fire :)

      Delete
  3. Such an impressive list, I love love love dress number one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite has to be your coat! Wonderfully amazing creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonna! :) I'm very happy with how the coat turned out.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, I would happily take your misses off your hands, they are as gorgeous as your hits! I love reading your blog and I'm constantly inspired by the beautiful things you make and your impeccable styling. Can't wait to see what 2014 brings ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! :)

      Haha, I was actually thinking about listing that yellow dress somewhere to sell. Maybe I'll give a shout in the blog if and when I do :)

      Delete
  6. Amazing list! I just love all your hits and even the misses - that green dress is SUCH a shame - gosh the fabric is amazing. I may have a clue as to why you dont like it so much...and since I think we share some style similarities, it could be the reason... which would be the sleeves - they are puffy(ish) and sort of full. I know that I feel ridiculous when wearing a puffy sleeve or anything with gathers. It all just feels a bit stupid and too *little girl*.
    I sold an amazing late 30s dress of mine that I took so much care to make, but when I put it on it made me feel stupid and it was cos of the big sleeves.
    The problem is - the late 30s/early 40s are SUCH a great era...but they loved the giant floofy sleeve...how do you change the sleeves but keep the dress from looking like multi-era mish mash of silliness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Esz I think you're right! The sleeves combined to that gathered bodice creates kind of an all over puffiness to the dress, which doesn't quite suit me. But hey, at least it works as skirt! :)
      The style would suit a petite lady, but a tall bustier gal like me needs to steer the eye off the bust area.
      I have this gorgeous 40's evening gown with gathered, puffy sleeves, but the rest of the dress is slim and streamlined, so it balances it out.

      I think the problem is similar with the yellow dress, the bodice just has too many gathers combined to that pleated skirt.

      Delete
    2. And the pattern in that yellow dress is pretty eyewateringly vibrant. I think its a good thing! But on a big skirt it can be too much.

      Im fairly petite but cant wear the puffy type things because it A) swamps me and hides my shape too much and B) my face type and hair style doesnt suit frou-frou

      Its so interesting how such small details can really change a garment!

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's an other thing. The fabric is very beautiful in my opinion, but it's just too busy and vibrant for a dress with so many details. It's a mess :D

      Delete
  7. Such beautiful creations! I love the fabric of the first dress. And your coat is stunning!
    I'm the same as you- I need to make things that I will actually wear and that go with items I have in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle! Now we both just need to stick to our sewing resolutions. :)

      Delete
  8. I don't think I've been here before but I'm glad I found your blog! You're gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Caroline :)

      Delete
  9. Love them, even "the so called misses". The DuBarry coat is amazing and the colour suits you so well. Did you use a pattern for the cigarette pants or ae they self-drafted? If you used a pattern would you mind sharing what it was? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...