Sunday, 8 September 2013

My next knitting project: Lace cardigan

Although it's still relatively warm, the autumn has clearly arrived and I'm feeling hopeful as to having some more knitting done in the coming months. Lately I've been inspired by bright autumnal colours like mustard, burnt orange and brick. Colours I wouldn't have even dreamed of wearing say 5 years ago. Heck, I even bought myself orange and yellow tights!


50s knitting model

I've also had my eyes open for a nice mustard cardigan, but since I haven't found any I decided to make my own. I found this lovely lace cardigan pattern from Subversive Femme and ran to buy some knitting yarn. There are also instructions for long sleeves which I'm going to make.

I chose the 100% alpaca yarn from Hjerte Garn, because it was the right thickness and colour. I used this same yarn for my Rainbow sweater. Some silk blend would have also been lovely, but I wasn't willing to pay a 100 Euros for the yarn alone, gee!

mustard alpaca yarn from Hjerte Garn


mustard alpaca yarn from Hjerte Garn

I can't wait to finish my previous project so I can get started on this one! I love summer, but I also love the colourful tights and cozy sweaters, crisp air and beautiful colours of autumn (as long as it doesn’t rain).

What have you been inspired by lately? Are you looking forwards to the coming seasons?

7 comments:

  1. That's such a lovely pattern!

    I'm really looking forward to autumn and winter. Summer is my least favourite season, so I'm glad we're heading into autumnt. Can't wait the wear my knitted sweaters and cardigans again! And hopefully knitting a couple to my collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer and autumn are my favourite seasons. Winter is so long though (4-5 months) that at some point I just get plain sick of it. Spring is also icky with all the slush and smelly dog poo being discovered from under the snow, yack. :D

      Delete
  2. That colour is perfect for vintage knitting pattern. I have been dreaming about mustard cardigan too... How on earth can I get myself patient enough for this kind of knitting project? I have to say I'm just a teeny weeny envious because it would take about double amount of yarn and double amount of work to make one for me, than it is for your slim figure ;) but I suppose the only way to tackle that kind of project is just to start and be stubborn enough to finish it (eventually)... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit nervous too about being able to finish such fine knit with so many loops. When the yarn is expensive enough though you just can't leave it hanging and waste all those Euros lol. And I really WANT this sweater. :D

      Delete
    2. I don't think loops are that tricky :D rather simple to knit, it's the aligning of the loops that make simple thing more tricky, but also more fabulous. I am afraid of fair isle-knits, which I adore. Perhaps I should start with the lace knit, it sounds a bit easier than fair isle...

      Delete
    3. No, they're not tricky. It just takes longer the more loops there are. That's why I've stuck to chunkier knits before, cause I'm not very patent. But the more I knit the faster I get and tackling a finer knit doesn't seem like such a big challenge anymore.

      I love fair isle too, but would need that knitting machine before going there :D

      Delete
  3. yellow is the perfect colour for this lovely lace cardigan ... for sure it will look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...