Sunday, 29 September 2013

40s style coat in the colours of autumn

A few months ago I did a little pattern swap with the lovely Esz from Kitty's Drawings. She commented on my vintage Singer post and kindly offered to send her excess Singer parts to me. I love swapping patterns: you can acquire some real treasures without the long search and spending a lot of munnies. 

This DuBarry 5104 pattern is one of the treasures I chose from Esz's collection. 


40s DuBarry home sewing pattern


I have been stashing this brick red suiting fabric I bought 1,5 years ago from Riga waiting for the right project. I've been wanting to make a mid season coat for those days that aren't quite cold enough for a winter coat.

40s style autumn coat by Cherise at VintageFollies

40s style autumn coat by Cherise at VintageFollies
40s style autumn coat by Cherise at VintageFollies

40s style autumn coat by Cherise at VintageFollies

I found these lovely wooden buttons form a local craft shop. They were quite expensive, but anything less wouldn't do! I even made real bound buttonholes and used good ol' fashioned hair canvas for interfacing the collar and lapels.

bound buttonholes and wooden buttons

Technical details for those of you who are interested.

Pattern: DuBarry 5104 size 14 B32 (and I'm a B36!)
Material: Suiting fabric 80% polyester 20% wool, lining fabric acetate/triacetate
Other supplies: hair canvas for facing the collar and lapels, fusible interfacing for supporting the bodice, wooden buttons, metal buckle, eyelts for belt and ribbon for interfacing the belt, tailor's shoulder pads and wadding for the sleeve caps.
Alterations: I only added about an inch to the girth, lengthened the sleeve by 1.5 inches and lifted the sleeve cap by half an inch.
Use this pattern again? Absolutely!

Wheee!

15 comments:

  1. Ihana! Hassua miten paljon tuo muistuttaa joitain 70-luvun malleja: minulla on sen ajan vihreä trenssi, joka on kuin samalla kaavalla tehty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70- ja 80-luvullakin otettiin paljon ideoita 40-luvun muodista. Juuri tuosta syystä jotkut 40-luvun jutut tuo tahtomattanikin mieleen kammottavan kasarimuodin :D

      Delete
  2. This turned out very beautiful! The color is awesome. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) The colour is actually a little bit darker than what it looks like in the photos.

      Delete
  3. Magnificent!! God I still haven't finished my one! You're inspiring me to get to it. Even though its almost summer here.
    Its the perfect trench isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! I was already thinking about making one in black in a little thicker fabric. I can't wait to see your version once it's finished :)

      Delete
  4. THIS IS AMAZING!! And those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must comment on your shoes, they are amazing! But something even more amazing is your wonderful coat! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Palmingo! Those shoes are 50's and found at a vintage fair a little over a year ago :)

      Delete
  6. The coat is perfect! I love the color, the style, and the buttons. Everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THis is absolutely stunning! Excellent work. Everything about the coat and the overall "look" is just fabulous. Do you have any process shots? I'd love to see some details of how you made this. Did you pad stitch the collar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. Unfortunately I didn't think of taking process photos, but I guess I could still photograph some details as the lining is open at the hem. Yes, I pad stitched the collar and lapels :)

      Delete
  8. My heart skipped several beats when I saw your coat. Utterly utterly fabulous!

    I bought a rtw rain coat in a very similar shape to yours, and though I love it, every time I wear it I wish I had a proper warm one in the same style. Typical...yours is a vintage pattern! I will just have to admire it from afar.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...