Sunday, 2 June 2013

The "no poo" experiement and a party -outfit

I have a very sensitive scalp and am constantly struggling with greasy roots/dry ends and itchiness. I kept changing my shampoo hoping it would make a difference. It didn't. Then a few weeks back I read about the "no poo" -method, meaning that you would eventually completely stop using shampoo. Wait what? Gross, no? I read further and found out that you can actually wash your hair only using baking soda, vinegar and water and that some people had had good results with that. Hmm, interesting, I thought, perhaps that could be helpful for my problematic scalp.

So I thought I'd give it a go. I would (hopefully) gradually rid myself of using regular shampoo entirely. I started my experiment some two weeks ago. I wash my hair every second day with 1 tbls of baking soda mixed with a cup of water and 1 tbls of apple cider vinegar per cup of water as conditioning. I have used regular shampoo twice during this time and dry shampoo between washes. The baking soda removes the dirt and excess oil from the hair and the vinegar restores the pH balance and closes the hair cuticles. Your hair is supposed to stop producing excess oils when the scalp isn't repeatedly subjected to strong detergents found in shampoo.

And you know what? My scalp already feels better: it's less itchy and less flaky. My hair also feels stronger and healthier (apart from actually needing a cut because of the split ends) when it's not robbed from all the natural oils. And no, my hair doesn't stink.

Here's a picture after about 2 weeks from starting the experiment. I had washed my hair with baking soda the previous night and 3 times before that. Looks clean doesn’t it?


Sorry about my weird astonished expression. Taking selfies is not so easy  :D
An other good thing about going "poo free" is that the hair is much easier to style and I noticed needing much less styling products styling my hair: just a little hair spray to finish. Which smoothly takes us to yesterday's hair do and outfit:

I went to see a burlesque show with a dear friend of mine and since the event ended early in the evening, we continued to a dance club to party to 70's and 80's dance music. It was so much fun!

I had styled my hair to 60's style for the burlesque event. I only used salt spray before curling my hair, although afterwards I realised it wouldn't have been necessary; and a little hairspray to finish the do.

Damn them fly-aways.
My dress was bought from a friend and it might have been a full length gown sometimes. It looked as if it had been cropped to knee length. I needed to nip it in from the waist and hip and it was good to go. I believe it might be silk or silk blend although I have not done a burn test.

60s little black dress with beaded bodice at VintageFollies

60s little black dress with beaded bodice at VintageFollies
Oops, I probably should have ironed it first.
Has any of you gone or thinking about going "poo free"? How is it working out for you?

9 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that "no poo"-method before, allthough years ago I have heard of other methods where people don't use any shampoos, but just plain water. At first some people have replaced shampoo with soda and later continue with just plain water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. baking soda seems to do anything. I just read today it can also be used as deodorant! Ha, got to try that one sometime :D

      Delete
  2. I wash my hair about 1x a week with sulfite/fate free shampoo and it's happier than it was (as is my scalp), but still not as lovely as I'd like.

    What is dry shampoo and what did it do to your hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry shampoo is either in spray or powder form and it is used to remove excess oil from dry hair and make it fresh. You spray it on and then comb it off a little after. But I guess it shouldn't be used for too long between washes as it builds up and blocks the pores eventually.

      Delete
  3. I'm no-poo! I rinse my hair with baking soda every 3-4 days (but no vinegar) and I love it for all the reasons you mention. My normally straight and fine hair has gotten (somewhat) thicker, and it's much less greasy. I've also convinced the bf and he rinses his thick, curly hair with baking soda about once a month. His hair is awesome and I'm terribly jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could only wash my hair every 3-4 days, but I'm not quite there yet. My hair takes hours to dry, so it can be quite frustrating.

      Doesn't the baking soda alone make your hair too dry? I heard it can do that and that's why I'm using the vinegar for conditioning + sometimes some hair oil too for the ends.

      Delete
    2. Yes, my hair is dry, but it was really dry before because I used to dye it so often so it was terribly damaged. After I cut off my damaged ends (hopefully next week!), I'm thinking I might try to use Moroccan oil once a week or so, maybe more often if I need it.

      I stopped using the vinegar because it made my hair too greasy. I found that I prefer the dried out version of my hair to the greasy version. Personal preference!

      Delete
  4. I use baking soda as. No-poo method and when I had hard water I had to use acv and some oil on the ends (almond or coconut) but with soft water nothing else is necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This method turned out not working for me so well in the long run. I felt like it wasn't enough to remove styling products and the excess oil from my scalp. Since I found a natural shampoo that works for me without making my hair too dry or irritating my scalp :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...