Saturday, 22 June 2013

The Midsummer Fest

It's the midsummer. That's when the day is the longest: the sun goes down a little after 11 at night and already comes up before 4 in the morning. The darkest moment of the night is only as dark as the dusk. The streets empty out for everyone has left the city for their cabins. It's basically a ghost town.

We don't own a cabin, but fortunately there's something for us in the city as well. Me and my bf headed down to the lake with a friend to a small beach for a picnic and to listen to a few bands playing. I had never heard of those bands before, but found a few of them very good - and I mean buy-their-record -good. There was even a sauna tent anyone could utilize for couple of Euros.

a midsummer beach festival at VintageFollies.blogspot.com
There was a little stage built inside a truck.
The day started out as grey and a little chilly, but fortunately the sun came out in the afternoon so we could bathe in its warmth. It even got so hot I had to go swim couple of times.

a midsummer beach festival at VintageFollies.blogspot.com
The sun is still up at 8 in the evening.
It's also a tradition to do midsummer spells such as collecting 7 different flowers and sleeping with them under your pillow so you could see your future husband in your dreams. Or go roam naked on your sweethearts fields so they would fall in love with you once they eat the bread made from the field's crop. We didn't do any of that, but we just made a flower wreath. (If you tie it with 7 hays and sleep with it under your pillow, you will see your future lover).

wreath made of flowers

I had made myself a midsummer -dress the previous day. I have had this fabric since last autumn. I bought it for a maxi dress, but the right kind of style only came to me now. Sometimes it's worth waiting. I love the lightness and crispness of the fabric: it is half cotton and half rayon so the touch is very pleasant.

green cotton maxi dress by Cherise



15 comments:

  1. loved reading all those little things about midsummer fest :) and your new dress is a perfect one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mokosha! It sure was fun doing all those "spell" as a kid :)

      Delete
  2. You look like some kind of Midsummer goddess in that dress and wreath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi thanks Anna :) I also look a little light-headed for spending hours in the sun.

      Delete
  3. Looks like so much fun! We are in the depths of winter here and while I love the cold, seeing all you northern hemisphere peeps living it up in the sun, I miss the warm!
    That dress if fab! You sew fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, we have to really enjoy the short summer while it lasts, because after that there will be 4-5 months of cold and snow, hrr. I try to go swim as much as possible.

      I have an industrial sewing machine at my studio, which is super 'cause it's so fast to operate: no hassle, just furious sewing! :)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful dress. And you are absolutely right, it was worth waiting, the fabric and the cut match perfectly.
    It's a shame that Midsummer isn't celebrated like this here in Switzerland.
    I only found your blog a few days ago and like it very much, so I think I will show around regularly in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ette! I hope you will enjoy reading my little blog :)
      Very often it rains hgere on midsummer, so this summer was especially nice because of the sun and warmth.

      Delete
  5. Oh all those midsummer celebrations look so fun. I love your outfit, the radiant colours of the flowers in your hair are so pretty. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admired your helpful words. Top class contribution. I really hope you’ll write more. I'll continue looking for. midsummer 2013

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your dress! Did you use a commercial pattern, or did you design it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esther! I made this pattern myself :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...