Sunday, 16 June 2013

Black cigarette pants

I've never been much of a pants girl, but on my quest to a more casual vintage style, I've been filling my closet with things I might have not considered couple years ago. That also includes jumpers.

A while ago I came across this late 50's - early 60's pants pattern and wanted to try it out. I only needed to grade them one size larger, other than that, the fit was great. Maybe I just should have made them a little longer as my huge calves kind of get stuck on the narrow leg openings and the pant legs tend to ride up when I sit or climb stairs.


50s style cigarette pants by cherise

I used stretch cotton from my stash, which is comfortable, but gathers all the cat hair like velcro.
The pants open up at the front where the pockets are and there are no other closures like zips or anything, just two little buttons on each side.

50s style cigarette pants by cherise

Here's also a fresh flee market find from couple days ago. I've been wanting a simple sewing machine to keep at home so I wouldn't need to drag every little repair project to my studio and back. I came across this adorable 1965 (according to the serial number) Singer sewing machine at a near by flee market and just had to bring it home. It works beautifully, but unfortunately it's missing all the special feet and extra bobbins. Not that I would need to sew anything but straight stitch at home, and if I do, I'm sure I can find extra parts for it.

vintage singer sewing machine

It's fully cast iron so it's quite heavy and despite being more than 50 years old it's still better than any cheap-o plastic sewing machine you can buy from a supermarket for a 100 Euros. 

See, it even comes with a suit case!


15 comments:

  1. You look adorable! I wish I could wear cigarette pants, they look so sleek and sophisticated. currently my bottom and thighs might get a bit too much attention in them. Ah well, maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! :) You on the other hand look fabulous in wide legged jeans, which easily make my narrow hips disappear completely - not quite the effect I would hope for :D

      Delete
  2. I love your pants! They are exactly what I want to make but I've not yet found a pattern I like!

    The sewing machine is cute! The metal ones truly stand the test of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! And good luck on your hunt for the right pants pattern. It isn't easy to find the perfect fit, I know.

      Delete
  3. I love these pants but alas they would look more cuban cigar than cigarette on me. You look great in them https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love those pants!! I'm a pants junkie when it comes to vintage!

    The Fictionista
    {sean-mackenzie.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pants and the shoes! I have a pair of denim cigarette pants as well as a black pair that I made and I love them. I'm very much looking forward to getting back into them once I've lost this baby weight. I really like the button closures at the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Evie! :) Those shoes were actually a flee market find that I refashioned with the red bows. They have been my favourite summer shoes for a few years now and sadly are starting show it.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous pants! The machine looks fantastic too; love the colour! Those older machines always sew so beautiful because they're not made out of plastic. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia! :) I didn't have to think twice when I saw this machine especially with the low price tag as well. I can't wait to really try it on something!

      Delete
  7. Ooh! Is this a Singer 338 or 337?
    I had one of these! I completely KILLED it - but I DO still have the feet, cams and bobbins. The only thing I dont have is the standard foot as that stayed with the machine when it died and got sent to sewing machine heaven.
    I also have the retro, spaceship buttonholer.
    If you like, I can send them to you free of charge! I'll see what I can dig up.
    Email me via my blog at Kittys Drawings and I'll grab your address off you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Esz, that would so awesome! It's actually a singer 348, but I think the same feet fit all models.

      Delete
  8. Those cigarette pants are adorable, look stunning on you!

    www.kikiandthegypsy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the fit of those pants is incredible! What an amazing job! I wish I suited cigarette pants, but I can dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I never thought I'd suit cigarette pants either, but you could be surprised ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...