Sunday, 5 May 2013

Liebster Award and a few great blogs for you to check out

Yet an other Sunday. Gosh, these weeks go flying by, don't you agree? I just returned from a dress-swap of which I'll tell you more about later.
I also received my first Liebster Award from Kristin at Sew Classic this week.

Thank you, Kristin!



 Here are my answers to Kristin's questions:
1. How old were you when you started sewing?
-I actually have no idea! I've been sewing as long as I can remember, since I was a little kid.

2. What compels you to create something?
- I started sewing more for myself when I went to high school and started experienting with my style. I also sow because I couldn't find or afford to buy the clothes I wanted to wear. Now it's mostly because I enjoy creating something unique and I have the skill to transfer my ideas into wearable garments. My brain is bulging with ideas and it would probably explode if I didn't let them out once in a while :D

3. What is your favorite medium to create? (e.g. sewing, knitting, painting, writing, etc)
-Sewing most definitely although lately I've enjoyed doing a bit of knitting as well. But I like to see result fast, so knitting can be a little frustrating sometimes.

4. What is your best memory of sewing?
- My first memory of sewing success. I made a velvet evening gown for a Barbie-doll in elementary school sewing class and my teacher liked it so much it was put on display in a glass cabinet. I was so proud! :D And also any time I get a revelation and finally "get" something I've been pondering about.

5. Is there a time period or style that you create within?
- My favourite decades in style are the 40's and 50's, of which I mostly recreate the 50's

6. Is there a time period or style you're drawn to but never work within?
- I like the 30's too, but for some reason it still feels a little distant for me. I'm getting used to it though and am having ideas of 30's inspired outfits I would like to create.

7. Do you have any insecurities regarding sewing/crafting/etc?
- Making a wedding gown for someone can be quite stressful. Not because of the bride or because I would lack the skill. I guess it's because the garment is so very important to the bride and she'll probably keep it for the rest of her life that you'll need it to be perfect. There's a lot of emotion involved.

8. If you make vintage inspired or period clothing, how often do you wear it?
- At least once a week.

9. What's your favorite thing you've made? (Not exclusive to sewing.)
-That's a tough one. My most recent favourites are probably the 40's style dress and 40's reproduction knit.



10. If you could give any piece of advice to someone that you've learned about anything, what would it be?
- If you want to learn something, you just have to jump right in and try. Try until you get it. After that there're no limits.

11. What's your favorite dessert to bake?
- Double chocolate cupcakes, yummy!

***

And here's a bunch of lovely blogs you should all check out. It was a tough job, as there are so many great blogs out there, but I tried to pick blogs with less than 250 followers.
(not in any particular order)

Jenni is a Finnish girl creating vintage inspired jewellery and crafts with a make do and mend principle.

is filled with vintage inspired sewing and other eye candy

I can't understand half of what this German lady is saying, but her sewing skills are just amazing

Anthea is blogging from Netherlands and she's very skilled in sewing and knitting, not to mention all the retrolicious pictures she's posting.

Susan is a German girl who loves vintage style and heavy metal music and doesn't hesitate to combine these two. I love her already!

Milenushka is an Israel based girl whose blog is visually very inspiring. I also like her analytical style of writing.

Kitten is a Finnish Swede blogger and a newly graduated seamstress writing about her vintage passions.

An other German blog I have no idea what's being written, but oh how inspiring all the images and retro sewing projects are!

I fell in love with this Swedish blog the second I set my eyes on it. She is a very skilled sewist and I'm just blown away by her creations.


And here are my questions. Anyone can answer even if you weren't nominated. I would love to read your answers.

1. Who's your style icon and why?

2. What is your favourite material to work with (in sewing, knitting, crafting)?

3. When and where did you first learn to sew/knit/etc.?

4. Is there a skill you don't yet master, but would like to learn?

5. What inspires you the most in your craft?

6. If you could only save one piece of clothing from a fire, what would it be?

7. What is your favourite style era and what do you love about it the most?

8. Where do you mostly get your clothes i.e. do you make them, get them thrifted or buy them new?

9. What is your most used/favourite accessory?

10. Show us your most favourite outfit.

11. And because Kristin's question was so good, I'm going to ask the same thing: 
 If you could give any piece of advice to someone that you've learned about anything, what would it be?

13 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a surprise:) I have an analytical style of writing.. hmm.. lol. Thanks Cherise! You know I really like your work (and if you didn't- now you do!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, I don't know if analytical is the right choice of word, but that's the best word I could come up with. Anyway, I enjoy reading your thoughts :)

      Delete
  2. Just use google translator for the foreign blogs and it will translate in English for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sometimes, but unfortunately it doesn't always manage to make much sense :D

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for nominating me! I really appreciate it. It was so much fun reading your Q&A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be reading your Q&A sometime soon as well :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for nominating my little uncommon blog!
    Yep, using google translate is pretty funny ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I love posts like these because they introducing me to new blogs! I love your 40's repro sweater. I wish I could knit like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rochelle! This pattern was actually very easy to produce, it looks more complicated than it actually is :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for answering my questions! I just love reading about everyone's thoughts and processes. Now I'm off to check out the blogs you nominated! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely blog and you're so pretty! Ciao from Italy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, how nice to find my blog on your list, thank you! Although, I'm not swedish, I just speak swedish ;) Siis suomenruotsalainen, mutten vaan jaksa kirjoittaa kolmella kielellä blogissa, hah. Anyway, I'm gonna have to read through your blog now as it appears we have similar interests! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry for my mistake! How fun that you're actually suomenruotsalainen :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...