Friday, 5 April 2013

Sew for Victory: finished dress

I was going to take part on the Sew for Victory sew-along at Lucky Lucille, but I missed the dead line. You see, my grandmother passed away last week and I spent the rest of the week in a kind of haze. I decided to finish my project anyway, when I did finally drag myself back to work, as I would be needing a dress for the funeral.

I got this lovely 40's Butterick pattern from Patterns from the past.


And Oh my, look what I found inside! I think I might have to frame this.



I paired the dress with a 30's felt and raffia weave hat I bought from a friend last autumn, 50's suede shoes and a red and white stripe scarf. (I'm obviously not going to wear that hat to the funeral as I think it might be a bit much, although I do love it to pieces)






I love the style of the pattern and I will definitely be using it again. I will need to make a few changes though: the centre front will need to be shorten a little as it's pouching on me. Also the arm hole was so tight it was pulling the sleeve head down. Otherwise the fit is great and the pattern was easy to put toghether.

Even though I missed the dead line for Sew for Victory, this dress still qualifies for the Stashbusting sewalong as the fabric has been cooking in my stash for at least a year - and there's still some of it left!

23 comments:

  1. Aaaw, you look fantastic and the bow is wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voi ei, osanotto :/

    ..Mekko ja kaava ovat kuitenkin täydellisiä! Upeaa työtä!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that, but your dress looks great anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness gracious, what a divine dress, and how marvelous you look in it. The tie and the belt buckle are suck perfect finishing touches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sooo sorry to hear your Grama passed away. I've lost all my Grandparents, so I know what that daze feels like. :::hugs:::

    And your dress is spectacular. Great job!

    The Fictionista
    {sean-mackenzie.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress fits you perfectly. How long did it take you to make it? Simply divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna! I used 2 days to make this dress from copying the pattern to finishing touches. I had to open and re-sew a few things for a better fit so I lost a little time there.

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about your grandmother passing away, so sad! Your dress looks absolutely stunning, what a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the condolences. Granny was very sick so her passing was to be expected sooner than later, but it's still very sad nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it looks stunning! I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother passing though. Wishing you all the best. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW this is amazing - you look lovely.

    So sorry about your Grandma - I lost mine last year, so sending you love and hugs

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I love it! The combination of black and pink is so vintage and feminine, but all those gorgeous details in the bodice are amazing! Oh yes, and that hat is smashing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. That's terrible news. Your dress is absolutely beautiful and I would love to include it in the Sew For Victory project parade if you upload the photos to Flickr :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rochelle! I'll do that right away :)

      Delete
  13. My condolences on your loss. It's been 11 years since my grandmother died and sometimes it's still hard. Your dress is absolutely incredible, though! The fit and detailing are all perfect, and the hat looks fantastic with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My deepest condolences on your loss, honey.

    That dress is so terrifically, timelessly beautiful and truly looking like nothing shy of a million dollars on you. Incredible job!

    Wishing you peace during this difficult time,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmum...she would have been very proud of this dress! It is absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm very sorry to hear about your grandma.

    The dress turned out lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear of your loss. Found your blog via pinterest, this dress is nothing short of exquisite, you look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful. And sorry for your loss. Hope you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so beautiful I love it. I have long time been addicted to leather jackets, cwmalls.com is one site I have ever shopped. Your dressing really lights me up. I will pay attention to your update, enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That dress is amazing, great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...