Sunday, 7 April 2013

Mad Men Challenge: Finished dress

Do you ever get those days when you're suddenly super inspired and can't stop working until you're finished with what you're doing? Yeah, I get those sometimes. Like last Thursday when I suddenly knew what I was going to make with this lovely yellow floral fabric I bought a while back - just because it was so pretty. I had been pondering about this years Mad Men Challenge, Julia Bobbin is hosting, when it came to me. I have a gaping hole in my wardrobe where there's supposed to be a shirtwaister, or two, or five - and doesn't Betty Francis just have the cutest shirtwaisters? So there you go: two birds with one shot! Ok, I might have done Betty last year too, mais c'est la vie!





I wanted a sleeveless or short sleeved dress. I found this shirt pattern on one of my 50s sewing magazines and used it for the top part. The skirt I took from an other vintage pattern.


I wanted the dress to look like it was actually a shirt and a skirt, so I made a fake waist band. The dress zips at the back and the buttons are open-able.

50s style floral shirt waist dress by cherise


50s style floral shirt waist dress by cherise

50s style floral shirt waist dress by cherise

Notice the shoes there? I could barely get my boots off when I got home with the postal package. I've been wanting these shoes for as long as they've been available, which is about a year I think. They're from Chie Mihara and I was finally able to get them, and for ridiculously cheap considering their retail price, from Brandos's Easter sale. Oh, lucky me!

An other picture of the shoes, voilà!

Chie Mihara gold sandals

31 comments:

  1. Upeaa työtä jälleen kerran! Kangas sopii mekon tyyliin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos! Pähkäilin pitkään, mitä tuosta kankaasta voisi tehdä, mutta tähän ratkaisuun olen aika tyytyväinen :)

      Delete
  2. Oh this is beautiful! Love the fabric and the dress and the shoes! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the shoes too ;)

      Delete
  3. Just beautiful, I love it! And the shoes are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is PERFECT! I really mean thatm I adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress is beautiful! I really love the fabric, and your fitting is always lovely. Congratulations on the fab new shoes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I am so in love with this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. !!!!!!! I'm in love!! I love the color, the print, the shape, the sleeves, ...everything. It's such a perfect Betty dress! Awesome job :) I'm hoping I can crank out my Peggy dress in one sitting like this too. I love when I get that inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle!

      Good luck with your Peggy dress, I'm sure it will be fabulous! I can't wait to see what everyone else has come up with :)

      Delete
  8. I love this dress - the colors are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab dress! Its so summery and very flattering :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, your creation is magnificent!


    HRF

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! In my search for interesting reding, I stumbled over youre blog. I am in AWE of how many beautyfull outfits you have made! It is truly inspireing! I added your blog to my Blogger and Bloglovin. Hoping that you will take a peek at my blog as well at http://trollemors-hverdag.blogspot.no/ (Stitches & Pearls)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful! I'm sure this dress arouses passions! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the fabric. What a great floral print for that style dress!

    xoxo Lorelai
    Seams Unbiased

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need this dress! is amazing!!!!! kissssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous dress! The fabric and silhouette are prefect. Love the shoes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an absolutely beautiful dress! I'm in love with yellow, vintage florals and shirt dresses so combining the three together is my idea of heaven! I love it so much. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO beautiful! You're making me want that style of lip piercing, too, though idk if I can pull it off as well as you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ADORABLE. I love this dress-- it's so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing dress! Every time I watch "Mad men" I wonder how those Bett's dresses are sewn? Where is the zip in your dress? Or how does it worn? Becasue as I see it's very thin it the waist and there's no buttons in skirt (only in the top of the dress)... Let me know in a mail: szycieretro@gmail.com if it's not a problem ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adore it Adore it Adore it. I want that pattern so badly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...