Friday, 29 March 2013

Sweater girl: finished knit #3

The deeper I dive in to the world of vintage the more I want to bring casual vintage in to my everyday wardrobe, not just fancy frock I get to wear once a year or so. And what would be a better wardrobe staple than a classic sweater paired with a simple skirt or casual trousers!

I finished this knit a while ago, but only now got to photograph it. The instructions are from a McCall's Needlework magazine, fall-winter 1954-55 issue. The instructions were for a considerably chunkier yarn, but I couldn't find the right thickness in a nice colour so I altered the instructions for a thinner yarn.


I used a woolcott yarn from Hjertegarn. It is 55% wool and 45% cotton, nice, soft and non-itchy.

50s green repro knitted sweater by Cherise

50s green repro knitted sweater by Cherise

50s green repro knitted sweater by Cherise
And there it is paired with a black skirt - again!
I made the sweater in a vintage size 14 and it turned out just as expected. At first it looked really tiny, but the great and also bad thing about knits is that they'll stretch...and stretch and stretch.

I also noticed I'm in desperate need of thin belts in a variety of colours. But oh how hard they are to find without any extra bling!

***

And last, here are some ultimate sweater girls for your inspiration!

Marilyn Monroe
Picture source: The Volts
Peggy Cummins
Picture source: Film Noir Photos
Natalie Wood
Picture source: Film Noir Photos
40's knitting pattern
at Cemetarian
Carole Landis
Photo source: Doll House Bettie

17 comments:

  1. Wow, what a sweater! Much better than anything you could find on ebay! Love it! Can you share how long it took to make?

    http://dividingmoments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Joanna! :) It took me just a little more than 2 weeks to make this. I had about 5 stitches per inch so it was quickly worked.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, another lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sweater! I love it with the yellow belt especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I'm definitely going to need some yellow shoes to go with that belt.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! Great color, it suits you very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! At first I was a little doubtful about the color, but I guess it just needed getting used to :)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous! Love the colour and the style :)


    ReplyDelete
  6. Great combo, the sweater and the belt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous-I'm not a big knitting fan but I love that colour and the style on you. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must say I'm a bit surprised hows well that yellow belt goes with many things in my closet as I've never been a big fan of the colour.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful! Would you be willing to share the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the magazine is not public domain yet, so unfortunately I can't publish the pattern online :/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...