Remember when I told you in my last post what I was going to make as my stashbusting project? Well I made the stretch and finished the dress in just couple days.
I used a 1940's Anne Adams mail order pattern. I made the dress in a 70's print cotton that I had bought from a thrift shop a while back. The button, zipper and belt buckle are also from my stash.
The pattern was for bust size 36 inches, which is also my bust size, so it should have fit just right. But wait a minute! When I had copied the pattern and measured it, it turned out to be 2 sizes too large for me. These American patterns sometimes have the weirdest amount of ease. So I graded it down and that was pretty much all the alterations I needed to do. It worked and fit beautifully!
|Cutting the fabric. I chose a dark red cotton for the yoke and belt, also from my stash.|
|I'm going to have a fabric covered buckle made for the belt. I just couldn't wait for it to show off my new dress so I used this vintage buckle for now.|
I also bought a new bag this week. I can't even remember the last time a bought a bag new from the store. I have been looking for a red satchel for a while now and there it was, right at my reach. So I took it home with me. It's almost perfect. the only thing that bothers me is that it's fake leather which really isn't one of my favourite materials.
I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favourite summer 2013 ensembles :)