Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Sew Grateful tutorial: Smart dusting cap, 40s style



Today is the tutorial day of the Sew Grateful Week. I'm going to show you how to make this adorable 40's dusting cap or turban scarf. They sure knew how to look good those days, even when cleaning up! I found the original instructions from a 40's book called The Pictorial Guide to Modern Dressmaking.



Choosing the fabric
You'll need 70 cm (27 inches) of at least 90 cm (36 inches) wide fabric. Best fabrics for this cap are light weight cottons, rayon or even dupioni silk for a more festive look. Or basically anything with a nice drape and not too thick or heavy. I used a blouse weight cotton.

Preparing
Cut two 90cm x 35cm pieces (36" x 13½") of your fabric. Attach the short ends to create one long stip. 

First fold the stip wide-wise and pin 28 cm (11 inches) from the fold. Sew with 1,5 cm (just over ½ inch) seam allowance.

This seam will be placed at the top of your head.

Now the raw edges will need to be taken care of. You can either overlock / zig zag the edges or make a double fold for a neater look. Iron a 0.75cm (1/4 inch) fold on all edges and then iron an other fold so that the raw edges are hidden.

This is what the fold should look like

 Now stitch all the edges.

Your cap should now look like this:

Your cap will be way longer than this. This was the first one I made and it turned out too short as a result of misunderstanding the original instructions.

Now sew gathering threads in the middle of the back of the cap. Gathering threads are made by sewing two threads about 1-1,5cm (½ inch) apart using the longest possible stitch.

Your cap will actually have a seam here.
Now fold the tip of the cap so that a triangle is created and sew about 5 cm (2 inches) from the tip. This will eliminate that awkward peak at the back of the cap.



Now pull the gathering threads from the bobbin threads until 12,5 cm (5 inches) long. Pin a strip of cotton ribbon or ribbon cut from the fabric on top of the gathers and stich the ribbon from both edges securing the gathers. You can fold down the triangle you just sew and stitch it at the same time or just leave it as is. Pull or cut out the gathering threads.


This is what the back of your cap should now look like.
Et voilà! Here you have a stylish turban scarf! Wear it when ever you want where ever you want and you'll always look immaculate ;)

16 comments:

  1. Stopped over from Sew Grateful Link Up. This is quick AND so much cuter than just using a big bandana! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I love this...thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cute, I will need to make one to go with my 40s overalls. Thanks for sharing!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see the outfit in your blog some day :)

      Delete
  4. How sweet! Thanks for sharing your pattern with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute. I'm bookmarking this to make up later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this - I had been looking for a turban- type pattern last week - this is perfect. ( it'll come in handy when my hair is betwenn dye jobs!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turbans have saved me from many bad (read: didn't feel like washing my hair) days. It's also convenient to cover up pin curls :)

      Delete
  7. Fabulous! Thanks so much - I'm going to try this, you could have a collection in different colours/patterns :)

    Katy
    xox
    http://vintagewife.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the cutest thing ever! I'll have to dig around in my scrap bin and see if I have a piece of anything big enough to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I know this is an old post but I just found it, so on the off chance you'll reply to this, is there any chance you could give a little step by step of how you tied it into that perfectly adorable bow? I just made one and I can't seem to get the front to look like anything other than a mess when I tie it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this detailed tutorial! Can't wait to sew my own, I wonder what it'll look like on my head :). You look fabulous in it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to make my own. In about fifty versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun sewing this pattern Emileigh! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...