Sunday, 17 February 2013

Finished knit #1

I did it! I actually finished my knit I started some 4-6 weeks ago. This is historical! I've never been much of a knitter. Not that I wouldn't have wanted to be, I just didn't think I would be much good at it. Still I had been collecting vintage knitting patterns and having found a booklet for chunkier knits I decided to give it a go. At least it wouldn't take ages to finish it.

This is a Bernat Handicrafter book from 1956

Knitting work in progress
I chose to use Rowan worsted knitting yarn in deep red. The yarn is 75% merino wool and 25% alpaca so it's wonderfully soft and fluffy.

Gomez offered to help stretching the pieces. Unfortunately I had to refuse.

The knit didn't turn out all perfect, as even though I calculated the bust width based on the amount of loops, the sweater still turned out a little small. I realized this is because I didn't take into account the shrinking effect of the cable knit. Nevertheless the sweater still fits and look pretty nice, don't you think?

50s repro knitted cardigan in red merino wool by Cherise

50s repro knitted cardigan in red merino wool by Cherise
The wooden buttons are an Etsy-find.
And guess what? I already started a new knit! It is a 30's style I found from Subversive Femme (take a look, she has a bunch of lovely vintage knitting instructions). 

I chose to use an all cotton yarn in rusty orange. What? Orange? Seriously? 
-Yes, orange. I've become more approving to new colors as I've gotten older and acknowledge what suits me and and what doesn't. Some 5 years ago I was still quite unconditional about only wearing certain colors like black red and purple. 

 But as I was saying, I chose an all cotton yarn because I wanted to be able to wear it in summer. And also because it was closest to the color I was going for. I hope it's not going to turn out too droopy.

knitting work in progress
The front and back pieces are already done and in only 1 week. What is going on with me?! :D

11 comments:

  1. Wow, both look amazing. I would love to make a cabled sweater sometime in the future. Cables are so pretty! :-)

    The Fictionista
    {sean-mackenzie.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sean! Making the cables was actually fun! :)

      I also realized I need a pattern stitch to keep me concentrated. If it's just plain stocking stitch I get bored pretty fast and never finish what I'm doing :D

      Delete
  2. I love your cardigan, well done!

    Ah, my cats always wants to help with sewing and knitting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anthea! :)

      Ah cats, those eager little helpers :)

      Delete
  3. So beautifully done! I have that pattern and never considered it would look so good made up. I love seeing vintage patterns in modern yarn. Great color choice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I love the design, colour and buttons just complete it so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's gorgeous! I love everything about it. :-)

    Looking forward to seeing your orange knit when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore that shade of red and the wooden buttons. I do wish that I could knit even half this well. Unfortunately for me, that is just not the case.

    HRF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would be terrible at it at first too, but you know what, it's not actually that hard! :) Just try and see. A lot of information on needle sizes, yarns and patterns can be found online and if you choose a chunkier knit to start with, it'll get done faster.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...