Friday, 22 June 2012

Homeland traveling: Iittala

Mieheni äiti on taas käymässä Suomessa ystävätärensä kanssa, joten päätimme lähteä "tyttöjen" kanssa päiväretkelle Iittalaan ja Hämeenlinnaan. Iittalassa vierailimme tietenkin lasitehtaalla ja -myymälässä, sekä myymälän yhteydessä olevissa muissa, viehättävissä pikkuputiikeissa. Mukaani tarttui Iittalan Taikametsä -muki sekä pari Koko -lautasta. Koko reissusta on niin paljon kuvia, että jaan ne kahteen tai kolmeen postaukseen.

***

My hubby's mother and her friend are visiting Finland again, so we decided to do some homeland traveling with the girls. We drove to Iittala and Hämeenlinna. In Iittala there is a glass factory that we visited and the factory's outlet shop. The Iittala -products are very wanted and quite expensive too, so now that I had the chance I got one of their lovely cups for a little less than the regular price.  I have so many pictures I decided to make two or three posts.


Candle holders at a gift shop

Local chocolate

Crushed glass
There was also an exhibition on glass art made by the glass masters working in the factory

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to take a piece of Finland back with me when my trip to Helsinki ended and thought a piece of Iittala would just do it. Now everytime I see it, I just want to go back and spend a nice week there, see more of Helsinki and the rest of Finnland: Tampere, Turku and so on... I only wish Iittala wasn't that expensive, I would have loved to bring back more.

    I'm not sure if it is true but, I read that every Finnish family proudly owned a piece of Iittala, which reminded me of us a little bit. For us Paşabahçe (a Turkish glass manufacturer.) is more or less the same.

    I'm sorry that the comment seemed a little irrelevant to what you wrote, but I just wanted to share it because I miss those days too much and you blog always reminds me of the nice time I spent in your country + great taste of all things vintage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pirpir, for sharing your memory. It's always nice to read and hear other people's experiences :)

    And I think it might just as well be true what they say about Finns and Iittala -glasses. It's a very popular gift when someone throws a housewarming party or gets married or graduates etc...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...